Northport was once the site of an important smelter that processed gold. copper, and lead. After its closure in 1921, the town shrunk to a small but cohesive town of just 300.
Some campsites (particularly those at the end of the loop) are large and private; others are more like a group camp near the shelter and creek.
A Story of a Tiny but Cohesive Community
When Sheep Creek Campground faced permanent closure in 2009 due to
budget cuts, the City Council and citizens of Northport adopted the
caretaking and management of this idyllic little park. They picked up
litter, pruned overgrown bushes and trees, gravelled potholes, cleaned
outhouses, painted buildings, repaired roofs, restained the viewing
deck, and installed signs. They kept it open until 2011 when the
campground received major grant for capital improvements. They then returned
management of the Park to the DNR, and the citizens of Northport saved their Fourth of July meeting spot.